December 21, 2016

Coloring Book Cards

Hello!

I don't know about you, but I've been a fan of coloring books since I was a kid!  Even before the current adult coloring book craze, I have always had a few coloring books and some good old Crayola crayons on-hand.  But the variety of amazing adult coloring books available these days is pure heaven!  I have a huge collection, but my favorites always seem to be the ones with mandala, and repeating geometric or floral patterns.  I've been building up quite a collection of finished pages, but wasn't sure what to do with them... DUH... card fronts!   

Below I've shown several examples of finished coloring book pages, paired with simple sentiments from various stamp sets from Concord & 9th.  Loving this new stamp company!  Links to all stamp sets below.


Once you have a finished coloring book page, just tear it out (carefully!) and trim it down to whatever size card you need.  I always work with standard A2 size cards of 4.25"x5.5" and I can usually get 4 card fronts out of each page.  I like to leave a border, so the coloring book pieces don't have to be the full size of the finished card.


I like using colored pencils best, but any medium would work - markers, crayons, watercolor paint (if your coloring book is printed on good heavyweight stock). These pages were done using Prismacolor colored pencils.


... and on the inside....


For each of these cards, I traced around the border with a black paint pen, matted onto white card stock, and adhered to a coordinating standard top-folding card. With such busy backgrounds, all you need is a very simple sentiment and you have a finished card!  


... and on the inside...



My linky list was giving me trouble for some of the Concord & 9th stamp sets, so here are some old-school links for you:








Happy coloring!

~ ellen.







2 comments:

sally said...

Nice way to use the pages, I've only used them in art journals...I'm tucking this idea away for another day:-)

Merry Christmas 🎄

Sally

Dianne said...

Oh, what a great idea!