December 18, 2016

My Christmas Card 2016

Hello!

I've been dying to share my Christmas card for this year, but wanted to wait until I had mailed them out so I wouldn't ruin the surprise for those who received them.  I've given it about a week, so I think it's safe to share... I have included links to most of the products used below.


As soon as I saw this "Merry" frame die by Memory Box, I just fell in love!  It's so intricate and detailed - beautiful!  It took me several attempts to find the perfect stamp to use in the background, and I was lucky to find this beauty in my stash.  I've searched and searched for a current source for you, but since it's about NINE years old, I was not able to find one.  It's a gorgeous snowy cabin scene by Inkadinkado.

The first task was to die cut the "Merry" frame 60 times.  Wow.  I learned very quickly the value of a dryer sheet with intricate dies.  If you die cut the dryer sheet, it puts a thin non-cling/stick film onto the cutting areas so your dies just pop right out.  This lasts for about 8-10 die cuts, and then they start sticking again.



Then, I used post-it tape to mask off the border of the die-cut frame, and blended tumbled glass distress ink over the snowflakes, and festive berries over the word "Merry".



Now it was time to work on the background.  I started by creating the blended blue sky, using tumbled glass first, then blue lagoon, then blueprint sketch, and finally chipped sapphire.  It took a lot of blending over 60 card fronts, but it was so worth the effort!

Once the sky was finished, I stamped the snowy cabin scene across the front of the card.  I used the merry frame die cut to assist with placement.

Then I stamped santa and his sleigh in the sky.  This stamp came from the Hero Arts My Monthly Hero card kit for October 2016.  This was the exclusive stamp set from that month, and it is sadly sold out, and the stamp set is no longer available.   I used my Mini MISTI to place the sleigh in the sky and was able to easily stamp it onto the card fronts 60 times in exactly the same place using versafine onyx black ink.  I also used the Mini MISTI to stamp "Christmas" under the word "Merry" from the die cut frame.



I used 1/8" Scor Tape to adhere the frame to the card front, and then spritzed the entire card front with Shimmer Spritz.  I misted each card front 3-4 times from about two feet above to give a very fine mist with no big drips.  This stuff is just magical - it gives the most gorgeous shimmer - like a bank of snow in the sunshine - tiny little diamonds.  LOVE.



I stamped a sentiment on the inside of the card, and "Handmade Holiday Wishes" on the back of the card.  Both stamps are from the Hero Arts Christmas Messages stamp set.



Still with me???

Finishing touch... I used the new Perfectly Penned stamp set by Concord & 9th to hand-stamp the names on the front of all 60 envelopes.  I had used this set the day before with some black ink and ran out of stamp cleaner - I apologize for the wonky color - looks way better when all the letters are pure Christmas RED.)  I hand addressed each card in neat printing for a truly old-school handmade card. (Obviously this isn't my real address.... LOL...)




I haven't sent out handmade cards in several years, and I so enjoyed making them this year.  One lesson I learned... when you're making 60 cards, keep the design as simple as possible... this was a labor of love!  Next year... simplify!  :)

Hope you are all ready for Christmas - have a wonderful celebration with your family and friends.  I'll be posting some other cards over the coming weeks, so I'll see you soon.

~ ellen.




1 comment:

Anita Houston said...

You rock...these are gorgeous, and love the hand lettering on the envelope...just a wow and gorgeous scene...pinned!